Recipe by Norahs Girl
I often make this when both my sons have friends staying over for the weekend I like to make something in advance that I can pop in the oven ,it has to be filling as these young boys have hollow legs. I serve this with some grilled tomatoes drizzled with a little balsmaic vinegar.and lots of crusty Italian bread.
- 8 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed with a litle salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with herbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 (14 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces flour
- 1 pint milk
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh thyme (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook Pasta in lightly salted boiling water for 15 minutes until"al dente".
- Drain and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a large pan,add onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes til soft.
- Stir in remaining tuna sauce ingredients,and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened stirring occasionly.
- For the cheese sauce melt butter in a pan,add flour and cook for 1 minute,stirring all the time.
- Gradually stir in the milk,bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for a minute stirring all the time.
- Stir in 2 ozs of parmesan.
- and remove from heat.
- Layer 1/3 of the pasta in a 3 pt ovenproof dish (lightly sprayed with non-stick spray.) spoon a 1/3 of the tuna sauce over and then a layer of the cheese sauce.
- Continue layering sauces andpasta,finishing with cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaiing Parmesan and bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes until golden.
- Sprinkle with a little fresh thyme and serve hot.