1 hr 45 mins
This is a versatile recipe that can be made with tuna or not for a vegetarian pie. IMHO, the crust rivals Marie Callendars pot pies! And if you happen to have leftovers, just slice a wedge and microwave it a couple of minutes...it's just as good as the first day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chilled Butter Flavor Crisco (Crisco Sticks work best)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 (6 ounce) cans albacore tuna in water, well drained
- 1 1/2 cups thawed frozen vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, or corn work best)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced mushroom
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup diced shallots or 1/2 cup onion
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2Make crust first.
- 3In a large bowl, mix flour and salt thoroughly.
- 4Add shortening and cover with flour.
- 5Using 2 butter knives or pastry cutter (I've also used a waffle-bottom potato masher with excellent results) cut up shortening into flour until it resembles chunky cornmeal.
- 6Create well in center and sparingly add ice cold water to mixture stirring with spatula gently between pourings.
- 7Do this only until dough starts to form a loose ball.
- 8It may not be necessary to use all of the water.
- 9Turn dough out onto a large piece of wax paper or plastic wrap and form ball using the paper or wrap to do so and fold closed.
- 10Place in coldest part of refrigerator until ready to use (at least 15 minutes).
- 11Mix all filling ingredients well, except tuna.
- 12Flake tuna with fork into chunks of various sizes, the largest being bite-size and stir into filling mixture.
- 13*If you wish to omit the tuna for a vegetarian pie, substitute 1 large potato, peeled, cubed and par-boiled for 10 minutes.
- 14Take dough out of frige.
- 15On a well-floured board knead gently 4-5 times until the dough holds together nicely and looks marbleized.
- 16Cut dough in half and roll out 1 half at a time about 3/4" bigger than the pie dish.
- 17The key to a flaky crust is to handle it as little as possible.
- 18Put bottom half in dish, then filling, then cover with top half.
- 19Crimp edges together using your fingers and make ventilation holes in center using a fork.
- 20Brush top of crust and edges with egg wash (1 egg and 2 tbs water whisked together).
- 21Bake in oven at 425F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F and bake another 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- 22Check every 15 minutes.
- 23If edges start to brown too much cover them with foil.
- 24Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuna And/Or Vegetable Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 654.7
- Calories from Fat 378
- Total Fat 42.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 1174.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 22.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: