Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
In 'Around My French Table' by Dorie Greenspan
- 2 limes
- 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion, halved, thinly sliced, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 slices fresh ginger, peeled and minced (quarter-size slices)
- 1 small red chili pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 lb sushi-grade tuna, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white rum
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Finely grate the zest of both limes into a medium bowl.
- Cut one of the limes crosswise in half and cut out sections from the fruit from the membranes from one half.
- Cut the segments into very small cubes.
- Toss the fruit into the bowl and squeeze the juice from the other half of the lime into the bowl.
- Add the mango, avocado, onion, ginger, chili, and tuna and stir everything together very gently with a rubber spatula.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining lime into a small bowl and whisk in the olive oil and rum.
- Season with Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper and pour the vinaigrette over the tuna mixture, again stirring very lightly so you don't crush the avocado.
- Taste for seasoning; cover the bowl tightly and chill for 1 hour.
- At serving time, adjust the salt and pepper and Tabasco, give the ceviche another stir.
- Serve immediately, garnished with a few cilantro leaves.