Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a favorite around our house! It's realtively low in fat, has tons of fibre and is great for next day lunches too! I prefer to eat this just with oil and lemon, but my husband adds some mayonaise for a creamy texture.
- 1 (184 g) can tuna in water
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 4 cups cooked whole wheat pasta (penne is best)
- 1⁄4 sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, finely diced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 10 kalamata olives (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or 4 -5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
- fat-free mayonnaise
- Boil water with salt and set pasta to cook just until texture is beyond a la dente, but not soft.
- Drain tuna and add to large glass bowl. Break larger pieces so tuna is flakey.
- Drain and wash beans and add to tuna.
- Place non-oil packed sundried tomatoes in a bowl with hot water. Let stand for 5 minutes. After five minutes, drain excess water from tomatoes, chop and add to tuna and beans.
- Remove olive pits by cutting a slit into each olive length wise. Add to tuna, beans and tomatoes.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, celery, carrot, bell pepper.
- Add mustard, oregano, basil, (dried or fresh) salt & pepper to taste, olive oil and lemon.
- Stir and serve immediately or refrigerate for use up to 2 days later.
- Add mayonaise to large bowl mixture or individual servings - if desired.