Recipe by Chef PotPie
Adapted to our tastes years ago, I forgot about this recipe! I won't forget it again, though. The sauce can be made with a lowfat slurry and fat free sour cream. This goes well with rice.
Top Review by Soobeeoz
I used two bunches of asparagus and a 425gm can of tuna in brine, six or seven drops of hot pepper sauce, about a TBS of Thai red curry paste, and I added some freshly cracked black pepper. I stir-fried the asparagus in butter, then added the other ingredients to the pan: a little flour and water followed by the other ingredients, adding the tuna last. Easy! I'm not sure if step 4 should read "add reserved tuna liquid", and I'd already drained mine by the time I noticed. When I first tried it I thought the combination of sour cream and lemon made the flavour slightly tart and that I'd use less lemon next time, but my SO who loves lemon thought it was great. I liked it more as the dish cooled. Will make again!
- 2 lbs asparagus, cleaned
- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna, drained (albacore)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook asparagus to your taste and drain, reserving liquid.
- Arrange asparagus on a platter, break tuna into chunks and arrange over asparagus, and keep warm.
- In saucepan melt butter, stir in four,and cook 2 minutes.
- Measure reserved asparagus liquid; if necessary add hot water to make 1 cup.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring constantly.
- Add fresh lemon juice, salt and hot pepper sauce.
- Simmer, stirring, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in sour cream and pour over asparagus and tuna.