Recipe by HopeJohnJP
A Mexican restaurant called Tulum near us fills its hungry college clientele with hearty, inexpensive and portable concoctions. My home-based version can be adapted to mood and handy ingredients. There's a wonderful variety of fully-cooked link sausages these days, from screamin' chorizo to spinach and feta to pedestrian old Cheddarwurst. Try bright fresh veggies or nuts for color and crunch, and play with cheese and dressing combinations.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
Excellent recipe. However, I halved the servings & it still made enough for at least 6 burritos for us. That's ok though cause we'll enjoy the left-overs. Didn't change alot, I sub'd some chicken breasts for the sausage. I didn't have adobo sauce so I made a combination of taco sauce with jerk sauce & tex mex seasoning. It was a nice change to have spinach & black beans. Very enjoyable & tasty recipe, thanks for sharing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 15 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb fully-cooked chicken sausage, diced
- 1⁄2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 large flour tortillas, warmed
- sour cream
- ripe olives, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a wide skillet. Saute onion and garlic until soft. Season to taste with pepper.
- Add spinach and cilantro, remove from heat and cover until greens are wilted. Stir in adobo sauce, cooked rice, beans and sausage, until well mixed. Return to burner and heat gently until hot through. Remove from heat and stir in diced bell pepper.
- Place a warmed tortilla on a plate. Spoon a half cup or more of hot rice mixture down the center. Top with shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream and olives, to taste. Fold the bottom of the tortilla up, then fold one side over filling and roll closed, leaving the top open to see what you're eating! Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.