1/2 Photos of Tulip-Fairy's Family Christmas Cake
My friend made our wedding cake using this recipe back in 1988. I have used it for my Christmas cake ever since. There would be a divorce in my house if I changed anything about it. You can eat it as it is or decorate it in the traditional way. The recipe is for 1 10" cake...However, I always make two as one is never enough in my house!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Weigh out all fruit and leave to soak in the brandy overnight.
- 2Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- 3Add eggs and flour and mix in milk and brandy until combined.
- 4Stir in fruit and nuts, at this point I have been known to mix with a pair of very clean hands to ensure that all the fruit is mixed into the cake mixture.
- 5Place mixture into a greased and lined 10" tin, protect with brown paper -- see note!
- 6Bake in a slow oven 150°C 300°F Gas mark 2 for 5 1/2 hours or until a skewer can be pulled out of the centre of the cake clean.
- 7Note: Protect a large cake by fastening a band of brown paper round the tin 2-3" higher than the tin, and cover the top of the cake with greaseproof paper after 3 hours.
- 8The preparation time is a guess as this is not a job to be rushed, especially if you take on board a brandy or two while mixing it! Don't forget to make a wish while stirring it -- this has become a family tradition in my house!
- 9Servings: Another guess as it depends on how big your slices are ;-).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tulip-Fairy's Family Christmas Cake
Serving Size: 1 (3588 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 13742.1
- Calories from Fat 5671
- Total Fat 630.2 g
- Saturated Fat 231.6 g
- Cholesterol 1873.1 mg
- Sodium 7316.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1942.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 112.9 g
- Sugars 1179.6 g
- Protein 241.0 g