Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Hollanders like plain, substantial food and lots of it. This hearty side dish that would serve equally as well for a main dish is courtesy of the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time.
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb bacon or 1 lb lean pork
- Soak beans overnight; drain.
- Place in a stockpot, cover with fresh water and cook until tender (about 2 or 3 hours).
- Drain beans; add vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Fry bacon or pork and serve with beans.