Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Mashed chickpeas make a tasty vegan sandwich salad that reminds me of tuna salad. It's especially good in a whole-wheat pita with tomato slices and some lettuce. All the ingredient amounts can be modified to suit your tastes or what you happed to have around.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley or 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas with a potato masher until the salad becomes somewhat creamy and spreadable.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, preferably after refrigerating the salad for a little while to let the flavors meld.
very good! i missed tuna so much, and this was just so delicious!
Pretty good! I didn't have any onions on hand and I think that's what I needed most, for that extra something. I did spice it up a bit with some dried dill weed. This was very easy to make and I think I'll be making it again soon. Oh, and this would work really well as road/picnic food!
I made this recipe with fat-free mayonaise. It was excellent--very flavorful with the Dijon mustard and vegetables. I highly recommend it.