Recipe by Marsi
You know that yummy cabbage salad they serve you at some Japanese restaurants before you get your miso soup and your food? Well here is the recipe!
Top Review by GastroFiend
Taking heed to the other comment, I went conservative with the salt and started with 1T. I added, however, and ended up with somewhere between 1.75 and 2T. Being lazy, I didn't drain/reheat the vinegar but continuously turned the mixture. As the cabbage started to slightly wilt, it did produce a lot to drain - which I did once I achieved the desired texture and taste (slightly wilted, tangy). Recipe was easy and it's pretty close to the restaurant version. Also added carrot slivers which added nice color.
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage
- 1⁄2 head napa cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar (rounded)
- 3 tablespoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut cabbage into thin strips (about the width of fettucini noodles) and place into a large bowl.
- Boil remaining ingredients in a small pot.
- Remove the pot from heat and pour over cabbage.
- Mix (using tongs) cabbage and vinegar mixture for about 2 minutes.
- Drain vinegar mixture from cabbage, and return vinegar to heat.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4.
- Drain vinegar from cabbage and discard.
- Place cabbage into refrigerator until cool.