Recipe by Mysterygirl
This is Top Secret Recipe's Recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com version of Der Wienerschnitzel's Chili Sauce. DW is a chain of fast food hot dog joints.
Top Review by Chef Robert in Tularosa NM
found problems in the cooking time. 30 minutes was not enough time to cook in the dried onion flakes or for the chili powder to cook into the sauce. Suggestion is to add the chili powder into the beef after it is brown and let simmer a minute or two. the oils will help to make the chili power blend better into the sauce. Also I boosted up the beef flavor by adding a teaspoon of "BETTER THAN BOUILLION" paste. I simmered the sauce for an hour and let set overnight to marry the flavors. It is pretty close, but now that I have an idea I will try again. I know that I like the wienerschnitzel chili dogs and when in an area where there is a stand I have a couple for lunch of snack. In our area there is none to stop at. Tomorrow will try the sauce with dogs on my friends and get a real taste test. Robert from the Land Of Enchantment.
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup Wondra Flour
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder (McCormick)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and ground pork in a large saucepan over medium heat, making sure that the meat is well crumbled.
- When the meat is completely browned cover saucepan and turn heat to low.
- After ten minutes, remove the ground meat from the heat and drain off most of the fat.
- Keep some of it in the pan.
- While the meat is still off the heat, mix the water and the cornstarch.
- Whisk the cornstarch thoroughly as it's added until it's dissolved into the water.
- Do the same for the Wondra flour.
- Add water mixture to the pan.
- You can now set the pan over medium heat and add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a boil stirring often.
- When chili begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- When chili is done it will be much thicker and darker, like the real thing.
- You can use this chili sauce on hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries or take it solo.
- NOTE: Wondra flour is a finely-ground quick-mixing flour used in sauces and gravies.
- It is made by Gold Medal and can usually be found in the baking aisle next to the other flour.