www.TopSecretRecipes.com I found this copycat recipe on the web and it's one of my all-time favorite cookie recipes. I don't know how many times I've made it. I use a cookie scoop so they come out nice and even, and they just look so nice on a platter. And they taste even better! I like the fact that unlike most almond cookie recipes I've found, this one contains ground almonds in the dough. Depending on the size of the cookies, this recipe makes from 24-40 cookies. I usually make them into 3/4" inch balls instead of 1-inch, which result in about 40 cookies. I've written 30 cookies in the yield as an average.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Use ungreased cookie sheets In a bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt.
- 3In a blender, grind 1/2 cup of the almonds to a fine powder (see note); add the ground almonds to the flour mixture.
- 4In another large bowl, cream the sugar, lard (or vegetable shortening), almond extract, one egg (lightly beaten), and the water; add to the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
- 5Form the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the cookie sheets, 2-inches apart.
- 6Press one of the remaining whole almonds into the center of each ball, while flattening the cookie slightly with your fingers.
- 7Beat the remaining egg well and with a pastry brush, brush each cookie lightly with the beaten egg.
- 8Bake for 20 minutes, or until cookies are lightly brown around edges.
- 9Wait a minute or two before removing from the cookie sheets to cool on a rack.
- 10NOTES: If making smaller cookies you might need more whole almonds.
- 11Also, if you can get pre-ground almonds (which I can at a lower price than whole), you will need 3/4 cup of the ground almonds.
- 12Also, I don't like using lard, and have always substituted vegetable shortening with excellent results.
- 13Recipe from Todd Wilbur's book Top Secret Recipes.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for TSR Version of Twin Dragon Almond Cookies by Todd Wilbur
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.3
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 85.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 2.7 g