Recipe by Dib's
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com A very good copycat recipe. You can sub vegetable stock for the chicken, and imitation bacon bits for the real ones for a vegetarian dish. Prep time includes baking the spuds.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
Oh my goodness, Diana, this was sooooo good. I think this is better than Tomy Roma's. My husband and I really loved this rich, creamy, full of potatoes comforting soup. I used probably 1/2 c. chopped bacon as garnish. Thanks for posting this.
- 2 medium baked potatoes
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté onion until light brown.
- Add the flour to the onions and stir to make a roux.
- Add stock, water, cornstarch, mashed potatoes and spices to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out.
- Discard skins.
- Chop potato flesh into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Add chopped potato and half and half to the saucepan, bring soup back to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with 1 tbsp cheese, 1/2 tbsp bacon bits and 1 tsp onion sprinkled on top.