From www.TopSecretRecipes.com A very good copycat recipe. You can sub vegetable stock for the chicken, and imitation bacon bits for the real ones for a vegetarian dish. Prep time includes baking the spuds.
- 2 medium baked potatoes
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Melt butter in a large saucepan and sauté onion until light brown.
- Add the flour to the onions and stir to make a roux.
- Add stock, water, cornstarch, mashed potatoes and spices to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out.
- Discard skins.
- Chop potato flesh into 1/2 inch chunks.
- Add chopped potato and half and half to the saucepan, bring soup back to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with 1 tbsp cheese, 1/2 tbsp bacon bits and 1 tsp onion sprinkled on top.
Oh my goodness, Diana, this was sooooo good. I think this is better than Tomy Roma's. My husband and I really loved this rich, creamy, full of potatoes comforting soup. I used probably 1/2 c. chopped bacon as garnish. Thanks for posting this.
I thought this was really good. It was definitely quick and easy. I nuked the potatoes in the microwave because I was short on time and I didn't have chicken stock so I used chicken broth from a can. It made a great fast dinner that my kids gobbled down. Thanks
I made this soup for Sunday dinner and boy what a treat! So creamy & satisfying and had a good rich flavor. I also garnished with more bacon and sauteed the potatoes in a few tsp. of bacon drippings for just a few minutes with a touch of garlic before adding the other ingredients. Served this with nice crusty bread. My husband absolutely thought it was the best I have ever made "if people don't like this then they don't know what good food is". Thanks Diana, we will be making a lot this winter.