Prep 40 mins
Cook 55 mins
Adapted from a recipe by Top Secret Recipes, www.TopSecretRecipes.com, this is enjoyed by many, many people! You can make this recipe go alot faster by using already frozen storebought mac and cheese(reccomeded Stouffers-from the frozen dept. of the grocery store-pick up recipe after freezing directions)I have played around with this a little. Hope you enjoy!
Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 5 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, plus
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups cooked small elbow macaroni or 1 3⁄4 cups regular size macaroni
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned dry bread crumbs or 1 1⁄2 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 -10 cups shortening or 6 -10 cups peanut oil or 6 -10 cups corn oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- Place flour in a small sauce pan over medium low heat. Whisk in milk till smooth, then add cheeses, olive oil and salt, stirring until cheese starts to melt.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer 30 minutes. Using whisk, stir sauce every few minutes to make sure the sauce becomes thick and smooth.
- Now place the 3/4 cup uncooked macaroni in a pot of boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes(8 minutes for small macaroni), or till tender. Drain. You should have about 1 3/4 cups cooked macaroni.
- When sauce is done cooking, reserve 2 tbs of the sauce for later.
- Pour pasta into a medium bowl and pour in remaining cheese sauce. Pour the mixture into an 8x8-inch pan that has been greased with oil. Cover and chill in fridge.
- When the macaroni and cheese is cold, slice into 16 squares(slicing down middle, then slicing those squares in half). Put each square on a piece of wax paper, place in covered container, and freeze 2 hours.
- When the mac and cheese has frozen solid, mix milk and egg in a bowl. In another bowl place flour. In a third bowl, mix breadcrumbs and 3/4 teaspoons salt.
- Heat the oil to 350°F.
- Bread the mac and cheese one piece at a time,coating a piece with flour, then placing it in the egg and milk mixture, then coating it with breadcrumbs. Place each piece back into the egg and milk, then in the breadcrumbs again. Repeat this process with all of the pieces, then place on a large plate. Let them sit about 15 minutes to defrost.
- Fry 4 to 6 at a time in hot oil for 3 minutes or until golden brown (test the first one to make sure it is hot all the way through. If it is cold inside, let the squares defrost a few more minutes). Drain on paper towels a few minutes, then place on a serving platter.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbs of cheese sauce for about 15 seconds (or until hot) in the microwave.
- Drizzle the hot sauce over the mac and cheese squares. Sprinkle parsley over the top and serve. Enjoy!
not bad at all not Fridays but very similar
I just made these and sadly I must say that I was not overly excited. I followed the directions exactly, but they just were not cheesy enough. It was very much like eating macaroni in breading without the cheese.
Wow is this ever good! At first I must have missed the "fried" part in the title of the recipe and didn't realize it till I read the directions. It is a little time consuming but it is very worth it. It is definitely not for those on a diet! Thanks for sharing!