Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Tastes like the real thing! Yum!!! You can store it in the freezer, then when you want some, just bake it or microwave it. I like to bake it because, then it's just like the store bought kind. If you do microwave it, I shouldn't have to tell you to make sure you nuke it in a microwave safe container. Recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/mail/view?msgid=3946876&oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/mail/view?msgid=3946876&oc=linkback</a>
- Whisk flour into skim milk in a small saucepan, then place it over medium/low heat.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese, margarine and salt and stir often with a spoon until the cheese begins to melt. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Use a whisk to stir the sauce every couple of minutes so that it becomes smooth and thick.
- While sauce thickens, prepare macaroni by dumping 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni into rapidly boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes or until tender, and then strain. You should have at least 1 3/4 cups of cooked macaroni.
- When cheese sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, pour pasta into a medium bowl. Gently stir in cheese sauce and then pour mixture into a loaf pan or casserole dish. Cover and freeze.
- When you are ready to eat, preheat oven to 350*. Bake frozen macaroni for 50-55 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown slightly.
My husband and kids thought that this was a dead ringer for Stouffers! The top was a bit greasy, however, so next time I will leave out the butter. I also cooked the sauce for somewhere around the magic 30 minutes in the microwave on half power. No chance of scorching the bottom that way. I did stir every few minutes, though it seemed that it could have been every five minutes or so and still been fine.
Thanks for posting!
I take care of my mom and she is a Stouffers mac and cheese fanatic. But that gets pretty expensive as often as she likes to have it. This is so close to a perfect match! I was really impressed. And its really easy (I HATE to cook!)
Excellent recipe! Very close to Stouffer's and absolutely delicious! This was a big hit with the kids in my family, so this is absolutely going on our Christmas table.