Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
They say that the Soup Nazi's restaurant in New York City makes the world's best soup. If you prefer a carnivor's version of mulligatawny soup, try Mulligatawny (Indian) Soup ( Beef ). As requested, I give credit for this copycat recipe to Todd Wilbur. From www.TopSecretRecipes.com
- 16 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled &, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 2 stalks celery, with tops
- 1⁄2 eggplant, peeled & diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2⁄3 cup roasted red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashews
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dash marjoram
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a very large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 hours or until soup has reduced by more than half.
- Stir occasionally for the first few hours, but stir often in the last hour to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- The edges of the potatoes should become more rounded, and the nuts will soften.
I was really hoping this would be good. It has so many great ingredients. Found it to taste like a sweet Campbells vegetable soup. Yuck. Did I miss something? Followed the recipe exactly.
The only thing this soup has in common with Mulligatawny is the curry powder. I'm sure it's very tasty, but to call it that is a misnomer.
This soup is outstanding. I've made it many times and it's such a crowd pleaser. I followed the directions the first time and thought it tasted very bland. Then I added 2T Garam Masala and it was great. The last 5 times I made it with the following changes and it is definately soup nazi worthy: 10 cups water, 8 cups chicken broth, 1 cup lentils, 1 t curry powder, 1 T Garam Masala. Then after 4 hours I add 1 t nutmeg, 1 more T Garam Masala and 2 cans of coconut milk. Then cook another 30-60 minutes. This keeps great in fridge for 5 days and tastes even better, so it's great to make in advance for company.