Recipe by AZPARZYCH
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. I have not eaten at a Shoney's since I was a kid and went with my Grandparents, so I cannot say that this is the exact same. I can however say this is a really good cake!! Made it from my Top Secret Restaurant Recipes cookbook. Must use the ice cream that comes in a box so the ice cream slices can be arrange between the cake layers. *Time needed to freeze cake with ice cream is not included in prep/cooking times*
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 half-gallon vanilla ice cream (must be in a box)
- 1 (16 ounce) jar hot fudge topping
- 1 (7 ounce) can whipped cream
- 12 maraschino cherries
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the cake batter as instructed on the box.
- Measure 4 cups of the batter into a well-greased 13x9 inch baking pan. This will leave about 1 cup of batter in the bowl, which can be used for cupcakes.
- Bake the cake according to the box instructions.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- When the cake is cooled, carefully remove it from the pan, and place it right side up onto a sheet of wax paper.
- With a long knife (a bread knife works well) slice horizontally through the middle of the cake and carefully remove the top.
- Pick up the wax paper with the bottom of the cake still on it and place it back into the baking pan.
- Take the ice cream from the freezer and working quickly, tear the box open so that you can slice the ice cream like bread.
- Make six 3/4 inch thick slices and arrange them on the cake bottom in the pan.
- Cover the entire surface of the cake with ice cream. You will most likely have to cut some of the pieces to make ice cream fit.
- Carefully place the top of the cake onto the ice cream.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap.
- Place in freezer for a couple hours to refreeze the ice cream.
- When ready to serve, slice the cake (recipe suggests 12 slices but they are a little big).
- Plate the cake slices on individual plates.
- Leave the cake slices out to defrost a bit while you heat up the fudge either in the microwave or immerse the jar in a pan of water over medium-low heat.
- Pour the hot fudge over the cake slice, top with whipped cream and a cherry.