1 hr 15 mins
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. I have not eaten at a Shoney's since I was a kid and went with my Grandparents, so I cannot say that this is the exact same. I can however say this is a really good cake!! Made it from my Top Secret Restaurant Recipes cookbook. Must use the ice cream that comes in a box so the ice cream slices can be arrange between the cake layers. *Time needed to freeze cake with ice cream is not included in prep/cooking times*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the cake batter as instructed on the box.
- 2Measure 4 cups of the batter into a well-greased 13x9 inch baking pan. This will leave about 1 cup of batter in the bowl, which can be used for cupcakes.
- 3Bake the cake according to the box instructions.
- 4Allow the cake to cool completely.
- 5When the cake is cooled, carefully remove it from the pan, and place it right side up onto a sheet of wax paper.
- 6With a long knife (a bread knife works well) slice horizontally through the middle of the cake and carefully remove the top.
- 7Pick up the wax paper with the bottom of the cake still on it and place it back into the baking pan.
- 8Take the ice cream from the freezer and working quickly, tear the box open so that you can slice the ice cream like bread.
- 9Make six 3/4 inch thick slices and arrange them on the cake bottom in the pan.
- 10Cover the entire surface of the cake with ice cream. You will most likely have to cut some of the pieces to make ice cream fit.
- 11Carefully place the top of the cake onto the ice cream.
- 12Cover pan with plastic wrap.
- 13Place in freezer for a couple hours to refreeze the ice cream.
- 14When ready to serve, slice the cake (recipe suggests 12 slices but they are a little big).
- 15Plate the cake slices on individual plates.
- 16Leave the cake slices out to defrost a bit while you heat up the fudge either in the microwave or immerse the jar in a pan of water over medium-low heat.
- 17Pour the hot fudge over the cake slice, top with whipped cream and a cherry.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for TSR Version of Shoney's Hot Fudge Cake by Todd Wilbur
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.1
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 51.9 mg
- Sodium 514.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 33.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g