Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com I was looking for this recipe last fall for a BBQ here at the house, and didn't find it on RecipeZaar- so I thought I would share. These are INCREDIBLE!!!! Everyone gobbled them up like you wouldn't believe! The swiss cheese is really important to get that Red Robin taste. I replaced the merinade with Lawry's 30 minute Teridyaki merinade with pineapple juice, and I was very happy with the results. (I only merinaded in that merinade for a little over an hour). Cook time does not include merinade time.
- 414.03 ml water
- 236.59 ml soy sauce
- 236.59 ml light brown sugar
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 566.99 g chicken breast fillets
- 8 canned pineapple slices
- 8 slice swiss cheese
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 8 slice tomatoes
- 314.66 ml shredded iceberg lettuce
- Make teriyaki marinade by combining all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium/high heat. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Cover and chill marinade in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Cover the chicken breast fillets with plastic wrap and pound with a kitchen mallet so that they are about 1/2-inch thick. The fillets should be a little larger than the diameter of your sesame seed bun. Pour a little of the teriyaki glaze into a ziploc bag, then drop the chicken inches Add enough teriyaki glaze to cover the chicken, but make sure you save some to marinate the pineapple slices and drizzle over the sandwiches. Seal up the bag and pop it into the fridge for at least 4 hours, but no more than 12 hours. Put the pineapple slices into another ziploc bag, add teriyaki glaze (reserve enough to drizzle over the sandwiches), cover the container and chill it in the refrigerator for the same time as the chicken.
- When you are ready to make your sandwich, preheat the barbecue or indoor grill to medium heat.
- Start grilling the chicken breast first. Cook the chicken for 4 to 6 minutes per side or until it's done. When you flip the chicken add the pineapple slices to the grill. The pineapple will take less time to cook -- about 3 or 4 minutes. You'll know the pineapple slices are done when they have some nice grill marks on each side. Be careful not to burn the chicken or the pineapple. The teriyaki contains sugar, which may char if grilled too long. About 1 minute before the chicken is done place 2 slices of Swiss cheese on top of the fillet to melt.
- As the chicken is grilling toast the face of the top and bottom sesame seed bun on an indoor griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Build your sandwich by first spreading approximately 2 teaspoons of mayo on each of the toasted faces of the top and bottom buns.
- Stack the chicken breasts on the bottom buns.
- Drizzle the chicken with more teriyaki sauce.
- Arrange the tomato slices on the chicken.
- Stack the grilled pineapple on top of the tomato slices.
- Add about 1/3 cup of shredded lettuce on next, then finish the sandwich off with the top bun.
Absolutely delicious! I was too lazy to pound the chicken breasts to the recommended thickness, and will do it next time. The chicken slid off the bun because of the thickness. I will make this again in the future for sure!
My husband is an expert on the red robin teryaki chicken burger, so in his mind it has a ton to live up to...This recipe scored a 9 out of 10 in comparison. I also love this and have made it several times for family and friends, minor details, but instead of swiss, I prefer to use havarti or pepperjack. Really easy and I always have tons of compliments on it!
I also lost this recipe. So thank you for posting it! I like to baste the chicken with the marinade while it cooks. I also brush olive oil on the buns before toasting them on the grille. This is a great crowd pleaser, nice for bbq's, and a great sandwich. Thanks again for posting here!!