Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. Full-flavored jalapenos stuffed with cool cream cheese and deep-fried in a cracker-crumb coating. Serve with sweet jalapeno jelly and sour cream. Its important when you make these that you allow time for them to freeze.
- Remove the stems from the jalapenos, then slice each one down the middle lengthwise and remove the seeds and inner membranes. Be careful to wash your hands afterwards.
- Poach the jalapeno halves in a saucepan half-filled with boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Blot with a cloth or paper towel to dry the inside of each jalapeno slice, then use a teaspoon to spread about 1/2 ounce of cream cheese into each jalapeno half.
- Beat the eggs in a small, shallow bowl, then add 1/4 teaspoon salt and the oil and combine with a whisk.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the floour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, paprika, and onion powder.
- Add the cornflake crumbs to a third shallow bowl.
- Working one at a time, dip each stuffed jalapeno into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture. Repeat, by again dipping the jalapeno into the egg and then back into the flour. Finally, dip the jalapeno back into the egg, then into the cornflake crumbs.
- Put the coated peppers side by side on a plate and into the freezer for at least 2 hours. This way, when the peppers are fried, the breading won't fall off and the cheese in the center won't ooze out.
- When the peppers are frozen, heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or deep saucepan to about 350 degrees F. Use enough oil to cover the jalapenos when frying. Fry the peppers for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or until the outside is a golden brown. Drain on a rack or paper towels. Serve hot with pepper jelly and sour cream on the side.
- You can also make these ahead of time by frying them for only 1 1/2 minutes and then refreezing them until you are ready to serve them. Then cook the frozen jalapenos in hot oil for 3 1/2 minutes or until they are hot all the way through. You may also bake the frozen jalapenos in a 450 degree F oven on a greased baking pan for 10 to 15 minutes, turning them over halfway through the heating time.
This recipe was created by Todd Wilbur for his book "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes" (Penguin/Putnam) and www.TopSecretRecipes.com