From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. The cold butter is the secret. It's not included in other copy cat recipes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine Bisquick and cold butter. Don't combine too thoroughly. There should be small chunks of butter about the size of peas.
- Add cheddar, milk and 1/4 tsp garlic.
- Mix by hand until combined, but don't over mix.
- Drop 9 equal portions onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until tops are light brown.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a bowl. Stir in 1/2 tsp garlic powder and parsley flakes.
- Use a pastry brush to spread garlic butter over tops of biscuits.
I have been making cheddar bay biscuits for a few years now, but this is absolutely THE best I have ever used! The cold butter really does the trick, making for fluffy, soft biscuits. I freeze the half stick before chopping, and leave it in the freezer even after chopped, until i've mixed the cheese with the garlic powder andd bisquick. I try to chop it into thin slices and then slice those for very small pieces of frozen butter. I mix them in just before the milk, making sure not too many are sticking together. I find that this helps even out the consistency of the moisture pockets the butter provides, making for the perfect texture. Everyone loves these and they hardly last long at all when I make them. I am always asked for the recipe and this is the one I provide.
This is definitely the best of the dozens of attempts I've tried to copy this recipe. I couldn't even get the recipe from a very close friend who worked in the RL kitchen... This has helped my baked goods repertoire considerably, and even finally made my pastry-challenged cooking ability understand the subtle intricacies of the Southern biscuit. I also lightly froze the cheddar which kept it more visually distinct. Oh, and a wee bit over on the butter and cheese never hurt anyone... :) Tip: make sure your Bisquick is fresh.. I used the last of a 2-year-old imperial ton-sized box I'd bought from Sam's; the leavening does lose its punch over time.
EXCELLENT!! My family thought they were better than Red Lobster's biscuits and I have to agree. I used slightly more butter by mistake and they couldn't have been better. So easy! Thanks for sharing!