Recipe by Stacky5
www.TopSecretRecipes.com. This is a copycat recipe for my favorite fast-food side dish...Unbelievably simple to make and quick enough to satisfy my regular cravings! This Recipe is from Todd Wilbur's book More Top Secret Recipes.
Top Review by Momma Dukes
A Popeye's is new in our town and I find every excuse to go get the rice and beans! So I found this recipe and immediately set out to make it. Well, I didn't have a 30 oz can of kidney beans, but I did have 15 1/2 oz cans of pink and black beans. Without delay I made the recipe with the pink and black; and I used smokey paprika because that is what I had. I LOVED THEM!!! I have since prepared them with kidney and used different pepper and fat combinations. My favorite is the pink/black bean combo, smokey paprika and the recipe exactly as written. Thank you so much!!!
- 30 ounces canned red kidney beans (not drained)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the beans with their liquid into a large saucepan. Turn the heat to medium.
- Add the pepper, paprika, butter and garlic powder.
- When the beans begin to boil, use a fork to mash some of them against the side of the pan.
- Stir the mixture constantly. In about 20 minutes, the beans will reach the consistency of refried beans.
- Prepare the rice, using the butter and garlic salt to season instead of per package directions.
- To serve, pour 1/2 cup of beans into a serving bowl and using an ice-cream scoop, scoop the same amount of rice on top of the beans.