Recipe by Malriah
Copy cat recipe of Popeye's cajun gravy recipe. It even has the tiny little bits of meat that the original has! Posted in response to a request.From www.TopSecretRecipes.com
- 22.18 ml vegetable oil
- 2 chicken gizzards
- 36.97 ml minced green bell peppers
- 59.14 ml ground beef
- 59.14 ml ground pork, plus
- 29.58 ml ground pork
- 473.18 ml water
- 396.89 g beef broth or 396.89 g chicken broth
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml flour
- 9.85 ml milk
- 9.85 ml distilled white vinegar
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 1.23 ml onion powder
- 1.23 ml dried parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute chicken gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked.
- Remove gizzard from the pan and finely mince.
- Combine ground beef and ground pork in a small bowl.
- Smash the meat together with your hands until it's well-mixed.
- Add bell pepper to the saucepan and saute it for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and ground pork to the pan and cook it until it's brown.
- Use a potato masher to smash meat into tiny pieces as it browns.
- Add water and beef broth to the pan.
- Immediately whisk in cornstarch and flour.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gravy for 30 to 35 minutes or until thick.