Recipe by Malriah
Copy cat recipe of Popeye's cajun gravy recipe. It even has the tiny little bits of meat that the original has! Posted in response to a request.From www.TopSecretRecipes.com
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 chicken gizzards
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons minced green bell peppers
- 1⁄4 cup ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup ground pork, plus
- 2 tablespoons ground pork
- 2 cups water
- 14 ounces beef broth or 14 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute chicken gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked.
- Remove gizzard from the pan and finely mince.
- Combine ground beef and ground pork in a small bowl.
- Smash the meat together with your hands until it's well-mixed.
- Add bell pepper to the saucepan and saute it for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and ground pork to the pan and cook it until it's brown.
- Use a potato masher to smash meat into tiny pieces as it browns.
- Add water and beef broth to the pan.
- Immediately whisk in cornstarch and flour.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer gravy for 30 to 35 minutes or until thick.