Prep 5 mins
Cook 24 mins
GREAT biscuit recipe. This is a copycat for Popeye's buttermilk biscuits. Please don't use salted butter in this recipe (or, indeed, in any of your baking). From www.TopSecretRecipes.com
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- melted butter, to brush on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Slice cold butter into cubes and use a pastry knife or potato masher to cut butter into dry mixture until no large chunks of butter remain.
- Add buttermilk and milk and stir with a spoon until dough forms.
- Roll out to 1/2-inch thick on a floured surface.
- Cut biscuits with a 3-inch biscuit cutter and arrange on a lightly-greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until tops begin to turn light brown.
- Remove biscuits from the oven and cool for a couple of minutes, then brush each biscuit top with melted butter.
Excellent recipe. Very easy to make, they were fluffy and light and browned beautifully. I should have made a double batch.
O my goodness. A while back I was looking for the best biscuit recipe. Now I have found it. These are so good. Very buttery. I did not have any buttermilk, so I used all milk. This will for now on be my biscuit recipe. I will not have to search no longer. Thanks.
Nice flavor biscuits. Very easy to make. If you only have salted butter like me, cut the salt to 3/4 teaspoon otherwise it will be salty. I only needed 18 minutes in the oven and they were a bit too brown already. So, watch your baking time.