1 hr 20 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com by Todd Wilbur. "Most of the key lime pie recipes circulating, including the recipe found on bottles of key lime juice, have a glaring error: They don't make enough filling to fit properly into a standard 9-inch graham crust pie shell. Come on, if we're going to make a beautifully thick key lime pie like the one served at Jimmy Buffet's restaurants we need to use something like 1 1/2 cans of sweetened condensed milk, or two cups of the stuff. The clone recipe for the pie is a simple one that's for sure, with only four ingredients including the pie shell. But don't stop there. I'm also including a special way to make mango sauce by simply reducing a couple cans of Kern's mango juice. And there's a raspberry sauce recipe here that's made easily with frozen raspberries. These two sauces are used to jazz up the plate at the restaurant are certainly optional for your clone version, even though I've made them as easy as, uh, you know."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (11 1/2 ounce) cans kern's mango juice
- whipped cream
- 4 slices limes (thin slices)
- 2I consider the time to make the sauce as "active time" because you really need to attend to them while they cook so as not to burn them. Stirring them with a whisk or wooden spoon is recommended.
- 4Pre-heat oven to 325ºF.
- 5Use an electric mixer on medium speed to combine sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, and lime juice.
- 6Mix just until ingredients are well-combined.
- 7Pour filling into graham pie shell and bake on middle rack for 20 minutes or until filling jiggles only slightly when shaken. Cool.
- 8Cover pie and chill in refrigerator for a couple hours before serving.
- 9WHILE PIE CHILLS MAKE SAUCES:.
- 10MANGO SAUCE:.
- 11Make mango sauce by bringing two cans of Kern's mango juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 12Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- 13Cover and chill.
- 14RASPBERRY SAUCE:.
- 15Make raspberry sauce by combining water and raspberries in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 16Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer raspberries for 10 minutes.
- 17Use a potato masher or a large spoon to crush the raspberries as they boil.
- 18Strain raspberry seeds from water, then put the liquid back into the saucepan and add the sugar.
- 19Bring mixture back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- 20Cover and cool sauce until you are ready to serve the pie.
- 21SERVING ASSEMBLY:.
- 22Prepare dessert by dribbling some mango sauce and some raspberry sauce onto a small plate (you can use spoons or squirt bottles for this).
- 23Place a slice of pie onto the sauce.
- 24Add a dollop of whipped cream to the top of the pie slice.
- 25Garnish the cream with one half of a thin lime slice on top of the whipped cream.
- 26Makes 8 servings.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for TSR Version of Margaritaville® Key Lime Pie by Todd Wilbur
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.9
- Calories from Fat 155
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 150.5 mg
- Sodium 275.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 79.5 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: