Recipe by corynrosemary
This recipe is for deep frying. If pressure frying, cooking time will be shortened to 12 to 14 minutes. From www.TopSecretRecipes.com
Top Review by The Spice Guru
I have prepared this again, and decided to give it 5 stars instead of my original 4. While I admit I like my own copycat KFC recipe better, this is a darned good recipe, regardless. What impresses me is how Todd Wilbur got a recipe this good in 3 days (I watched the Top Secret Recipe episode) -- as opposed to the 3 years it took me to get mine right! I like how the MSG brings out an almost cinnamon flavor from the marjoram and ginger. Great job, Mr. Wilbur.
- 1 frying chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon msg
- 6 -10 cups soybean oil (vegetable oil)
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon msg (monosodium glutamate)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground tellicherry pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve 1/3 cup salt and 1 tablespoon MSG in 8 cups water. Add chicken and marinate for 2 hours. Remove chicken from brine, rinse with water and blot dry.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 300°F.
- Make the breading by combining all ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and then stir in the milk.
- When the oil is hot, dip each piece of chicken in the egg and milk mixture and then press into the breading. Toss each chicken piece in the breading until well-coated, let chicken sit for 2 minutes in the breading, shake off the excess breading and fry 2 to 4 pieces at a time (or whatever your fryer can hold) for 18 to 20 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown. Drain chicken on a rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- TIDBITS: If you want to keep the chicken warm until it's all cooked, place the fried pieces on a rack on a baking sheet and keep them in your oven set to 200°F.