Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com Joe's Stone Crab knows how to make mashed potatoes special. Chunks of fontina cheese are mixed into these creamy potatoes, and the dish comes to your table with a golden crust of crispy asiago breadcrumbs. The secret blend of panko breadcrumbs, butter and shredded asiago cheese is patted down onto the potatoes, and then the whole dish is broiled until the top is golden brown.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup salted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cubed Fontina cheese
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup grated Fontina cheese
Asiago Bread Crumb Topping
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, breadcrurnbs
- 1⁄3 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup salted butter, melted
- Peel and quarter potatoes and boil in salted water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes and put potato chunks through a ricer back into the saucepan.
- You can also use a potato masher.
- Add half and half, butter and salt to the pan.
- Cover and set over medium low heat.
- Stir occasionally until hot.
- Stir in fontina cheese and turn off the heat.
- Set oven to broil.
- Make bread crumb topping by combining panko, asiago, paprika, parsley and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Spoon potatoes into a casserole dish.
- Smooth the top of the potatoes with a spatula, then spread the 1/4 cup cubed butter on top, followed by 1/2 cup grated fontina cheese.
- Use your hands to cover the top of the potatoes with the asiago breadcrumb topping.
- Set the dish under your broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until the breadcrumbs turn light brown.
This recipe was created by Todd Wilbur for his book "Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 3 (Penguin/Putnam) www.TopSecretRecipes.com