1/1 Photo of TSR Version of Jack-In-The-Box Tacos by Todd Wilbur
1 hr 15 mins
Hey Jude's Note:
www.TopSecretRecipes.com I was totally addicted to these tacos when I was a teen-ager, I remember going through the drive-thru and ordering a big bag of these for all my friends (in the back seat, necking).I'm guessing at the prep and cook times. This is from Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup refried beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup mild taco sauce (Ortega or Pico Pica brand or any smooth taco sauce, no chunks of tomato and stuff)
- 12 soft corn tortillas (try to use thin ones and warm them up before using so they don't crack when you fold them)
- 3 cups cooking oil, crisco oil will give the tacos a taste closest to the original
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1 head finely chopped lettuce
- 1Slowly brown the ground beef over low heat, using a wooden spoon to chop and smoosh the meat, keep it very fine and smooth.
- 2When the beef is brown, drain the fat.
- 3Add the refried beans and use the wooden spoon to smash the whole beans into the mixture, creating a smooth texture.
- 4Add the salt, chili powder, and 2 tablespoons of the taco sauce to the mixture; remove from the heat.
- 5In another skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until hot (test with a small piece of tortilla, it should bubble when dropped into the oil).
- 6Spread 1/12 of the beef mixture on the center of each corn tortilla.
- 7Fold the tortillas over and press so that the beef filling acts as an adhesive and holds the sides together.
- 8Drop each taco into the pan of hot oil and fry on both sides until crispy.
- 9When cooked, remove the tacos from the oil and place them on a rack or some paper towels until they are a little cooler.
- 10Pry open each taco slightly; add 1/2 slice of American cheese (cut diagonally) and some lettuce; top with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the remaining taco sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for TSR Version of Jack-In-The-Box Tacos by Todd Wilbur
Serving Size: 1 (1978 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.1
- Calories from Fat 566
- Total Fat 62.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 30.2 mg
- Sodium 227.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 10.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mild taco sauce