www.TopSecretRecipes.com I was totally addicted to these tacos when I was a teen-ager, I remember going through the drive-thru and ordering a big bag of these for all my friends (in the back seat, necking).I'm guessing at the prep and cook times. This is from Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup refried beans
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup mild taco sauce (Ortega or Pico Pica brand or any smooth taco sauce, no chunks of tomato and stuff)
- 12 soft corn tortillas (try to use thin ones and warm them up before using so they don't crack when you fold them)
- 3 cups cooking oil, crisco oil will give the tacos a taste closest to the original
- 6 slices American cheese
- 1 head finely chopped lettuce
- Slowly brown the ground beef over low heat, using a wooden spoon to chop and smoosh the meat, keep it very fine and smooth.
- When the beef is brown, drain the fat.
- Add the refried beans and use the wooden spoon to smash the whole beans into the mixture, creating a smooth texture.
- Add the salt, chili powder, and 2 tablespoons of the taco sauce to the mixture; remove from the heat.
- In another skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until hot (test with a small piece of tortilla, it should bubble when dropped into the oil).
- Spread 1/12 of the beef mixture on the center of each corn tortilla.
- Fold the tortillas over and press so that the beef filling acts as an adhesive and holds the sides together.
- Drop each taco into the pan of hot oil and fry on both sides until crispy.
- When cooked, remove the tacos from the oil and place them on a rack or some paper towels until they are a little cooler.
- Pry open each taco slightly; add 1/2 slice of American cheese (cut diagonally) and some lettuce; top with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the remaining taco sauce.