Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from Top Secret Recipes by Todd Wilbur.From www.TopSecretRecipes.com I didn't blend the oats or blanch the almonds (too much work first thing in the morning). I threw a splash of vinegar into the milk to make my own buttermilk. This is a hearty pancake with a sweet flavor and a nice crunch. If you're wanting to eat a little healthier but you're afraid healthy means bland, this is a great recipe. Plus, you can freeze these after they cool and reheat any leftovers in the microwave.
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, finely chopped
- Lightly oil a skillet or griddle and preheat it to medium heat.
- Grind the oats in a blender or food processor until fine, like flour.
- Combine oat flour, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl combine buttermilk, milk, oil, eggs, and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients, add nuts and mix well by hand.
- Ladle 1/3 cup of the batter onto the hot skillet and cook the pancakes for 1 to 3 minutes per side or until brown.
OMG - I love how yummy and healthy these pancakes are! I used vegan substitutions for the eggs and milk, but I've had these pancakes at IHOP, and I think my version is very close. I added 2 tbsp of flax seed meal to up the nutrition, and used 1/3 cup of walnuts instead of a mix of walnuts and almonds. Thank you so much for posting this recipe, Amy!
YUMMY! I love these pancakes! I didn't add any all-purpose flour I just used a full cup of the wheat and a full cup of the oats. I added 1 Tbs. of wheat germ and a Tbs. of Wheat bran. And, I used pecans instead of almonds. Super good! I love how spongy they are! And the they have the perfect crunch to them!! MMMMmmmmmm!
So good. Served with ham and topped with pear jam I had made earlier this fall.