Excellent recipe; a copycat for a very famous and widespread coffee establishment from www.TopSecretRecipes.com.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Spread shredded coconut on a baking sheet and toast coconut in the oven.
- Stir the coconut around every 10 minutes or so for even browning.
- After 25 to 30 minutes the shredded coconut should be light brown.
- Cool it off.
- Make double-strength coffee by brewing with twice the coffee required by your coffee maker.
- That should be 2 tablespoons of ground coffee per each cup of coffee.
- Chill before using.
- To make the drinks, combine cold coffee, milk, 1/3 cup of the toasted coconut, 1/3 cup chocolate syrup, and sugar in a blender.
- Blend for 15 to 20 seconds to dissolve sugar.
- Add ice and blend until ice is crushed and the drink is smooth.
- Pour drinks into two 16-ounce glasses.
- Garnish each drink with whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate, and a pinch of some of the remaining toasted coconut.
- Add a straw to each one if you want!
This drink is wonderful! I've made it several times now, and it just keeps tasting better! I do however speed up the browning of the coconut. You can put your oven to 350 and the cooking time is greatly reduced. (Only takes about 6 to 7 minutes) You need to be careful and watch the coconut though! It darkens very quickly!
Heaven! thank you so much!! I made this for myself today for my birthday, I didn't feel like driving to the "very famous and widespread coffee establishment" today so this was great. How I did it: I didn't want to warm up the oven so I got a small non-stick skillet and put it over low heat, put the coconut in the pan and stirred it around until the coconut was toasted. I used a meduim roast non-bitter Sumatra coffee, I put enough for 12 cups of coffee but brewed only 1 and 1/2 cups. I like mine thick so I put about 2 2/3 cups ice in mine, and oh.. I don't know.. very likely 2/3 cup chocolate syrup :-) YUMM!! Thank you SO much! Can I live on this and this alone?