Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. The dish is one of Chili's most raved-about items. I ordered this when I was at lunch with my sister. Had to get two bowls to go!
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g chicken breast fillet (approx. 3 fillets)
- 118.29 ml diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, pressed, to taste
- 946.36 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml masa harina
- 709.77 ml water
- 236.59 ml enchilada sauce
- 453.59 g Velveeta cheese
- 4.92 ml salt, to taste
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cumin
- shredded cheddar cheese
- crumbled corn tortilla chips
Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 118.29 ml diced Spanish onion
- 9.85 ml chopped fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and de-ribbed
- 9.85 ml finely minced fresh cilantro
- 0.25 ml salt
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside.
- Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent.
- Add chicken broth.
- Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.
- Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.
- Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Shred the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.
- Serve soup in cups or bowls, and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips, and pico de gallo.
My husband loves chilli's and goes there for this soup! I have tried many of time to recreate chilli's verison and finally found the recipe! We love it and it is super close to the actual chilli's soup but I did not use the mesa cause i know how thick it can get! What i did was take corn tortillas and put them into my bleander about 6 made two cups and that seemed to be a good amout also i did use a lil more enchilada sauce! I also made my own tortilla strips by cutting up corn tortialls and frying them in a lil olvive oil and salt for the garnish! try sour cream as a garnish also!
I worked at Chili's for 10 years, and this recipe is pretty darn close!! I don't think Chili's has onions in it, but I use them anyway for the flavor. I usually 1/2 it, use one can of Chicken Broth (almost 2 cups) and I don't add that much Velveeta...about 3/4 the amt...kinda to taste and consistency. It felt like a cheese "dip" the first time I made it with all that cheese. I also think the Masa ratio is perfect. I add more Enchilada sauce (homemade is the best...it's easy!) for flavor. I've been making this for a while. My 8-yr old loves it! (without the pico, of course) :)) Thank you!!!
This is fantastic, however, I garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips and chopped green onions. I do not serve the Pico de Gallo. I half the recipe, and do not use chicken. I keep the masa hirna in the freezer, and put 1/2 cups of encilada sauce in baggies and freeze them! Recipe halfs nicely. I guess I have made it a cheese enchilada soup.