Recipe by Kaccy G.
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com. The dish is one of Chili's most raved-about items. I ordered this when I was at lunch with my sister. Had to get two bowls to go!
Top Review by rachelgeiger
My husband loves chilli's and goes there for this soup! I have tried many of time to recreate chilli's verison and finally found the recipe! We love it and it is super close to the actual chilli's soup but I did not use the mesa cause i know how thick it can get! What i did was take corn tortillas and put them into my bleander about 6 made two cups and that seemed to be a good amout also i did use a lil more enchilada sauce! I also made my own tortilla strips by cutting up corn tortialls and frying them in a lil olvive oil and salt for the garnish! try sour cream as a garnish also!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb chicken breast fillet (approx. 3 fillets)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, pressed, to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup masa harina
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- shredded cheddar cheese
- crumbled corn tortilla chips
Pico de Gallo
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced Spanish onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and de-ribbed
- 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chicken breasts to pot and brown for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Set chicken aside.
- Add onions and garlic to pot and sauté over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until onions begin to become translucent.
- Add chicken broth.
- Combine masa harina with 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and whisk until blended.
- Add masa mixture to pot with onions, garlic and broth.
- Add remaining water, enchilada sauce, cheese and spices to pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Shred the chicken into small, bite-size pieces and add it to the pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer soup for 30-40 minutes or until thick.
- Serve soup in cups or bowls, and garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled corn tortilla chips, and pico de gallo.