Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These have to be my all time favorite snack when I can find them, but now they have been delivered into my hands! Thank you Lord! Recipe adapted from Todd Wilbur's version of Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets (www.TopSecretRecipes.com)
- 1 (16 ounce) boxgolden poundcake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄8 cup nestle NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Beat egg whites till stiff.
- Blend egg whites with cake mix and water.
- Pour batter into a greased 9x12-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or till top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Melt butterscotch morsels in microwave on high for 45 seconds, or use double boiler over hot water.
- *Do not let water boil*.
- Mix butter with butterscotch, then add powdered sugar.
- Blend frosting with mixer till consistency is smooth.
- Spread frosting atop cooled pound cake.
- Cut cake into equal nine rows, then two cuts lengthwise.
- Grab revolver and prepare to defend your krimpets.
I made this for my sisters birthday, we are from the Philly area but now live over 1,000 miles away and can't get much beloved Tastykakes. Krimpets have always been her favorite and she was very surprised by the cake. It got her thumbs up and it gets mine too. I don't think you could make anything yourself that would be closer to the real thing! Excellent!
I knew it was the real copy cat when the aroma escaped from the oven! I modified the recipe by adding the yolks in after mixing the whites with the cake mix. And I doubled the frosting -- it was sooooo decadent!! I also decorated the top with leftover morsels. Better than best!!!
This is the best!