1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 10 mins
From www.TopSecretRecipes.com This is a copycat (from Top Secret recipes) recipe of Applebees Creamy Tomato Basil soup. My whole family loved it when I made it, even my non tomato soup loving son. I would suggest NOT trying to sub dried Basil in this recipe as it depends on the flavor of the real basil for it's "spark". I used the kind you can get in a tube in the produce section. This is extraordinarily easy to make and makes enough for a full family dinner. We served it along side Paninis and it was a great meal! :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced white onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil (I used the squeeze basil found in the produce section)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and then add onion and garlic.
- 2Saute for about 1 minute.
- 3Add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 4Turn off the heat and let mixture cool, uncovered, for 30 minutes or so.
- 5You can let it sit for as long as an hour, if you like.
- 6Pour approximately half of the tomato mixture into a blender.
- 7Put the lid on the blender and hold it down with a dish towel.
- 8Mixture may still be hot and you don't want the lid of the blender to pop off.
- 9Blend on high speed for about a minute, pour the mixture into a large bowl or pitcher, then add the rest of the mixture to the blender and blend on high speed for a minute.
- 10Pour all of the pureed tomato mixture back into the saucepan and then add the remaining ingredients.
- 11Bring the soup back up to a bubble then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 12Serve approximately one cup of soup with a garnish of 3 or 4 croutons on top and a sprinkling of shredded Parmesan cheese.
- 13Note- Be careful of what brand of canned tomatoes you use. Use one you know is good. I have made this twice now and when I used the Kroger brand tomatoes, it was excellent. When I used a name brand, it actually had a rather metallic taste to it from the canned tomatoes so be aware of the flavor of what you use in this since the tomatoes are the prominent flavor.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for TSR Version of Applebees Tomato Basil Soup by Todd WIlbur
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.5
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 831.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 7.6 g