Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe is from www.TopSecretRecipes.com. This actually tastes like the salad from applebees. It is a bit of work, but worth every second!!
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup corn flake crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 skinless chicken breast half
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1 cup napa cabbage
- 1⁄2 carrot, julienned or shredded
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- 1⁄3 cup chow mein noodles
- Preheat oil in deep fryer or deep pan over medium heat.
- You want the temperature of the oil to be around 350 degrees.
- Blend together all ingredients for dressing in a small bowl with an electric mixer.
- Put dressing in refrigerator to chill while you prepare the salad.
- In a small, shallow bowl beat egg, add milk, and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour with corn flake crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Cut chicken breast into 4 or 5 long strips.
- Dip each strip of chicken first into egg mixture then into the flour mixture, coating each piece completely.
- Fry each chicken finger for 5 minutes or until coating has darkened to brown.
- Prepare salad by tossing the chopped romaine with the chopped red cabbage, Napa cabbage, and carrots.
- Sprinkle sliced green onion on top of the lettuce.
- Sprinkle almonds over the salad, then the chow mein noodles.
- Cut the chicken into small bite-size chunks.
- Place the chicken onto the salad forming a pile in the middle.
- Serve with salad dressing drizzled over it or on the side.
Fabulous! I love this Applebees salad. I do it the easy way and buy a tub of mixed salad greens and also use pre-cooked chicken from the grocery store. I like rice noodles better than chow mein noodles because I think they have a better texture. They are usually sold right next to the chow mein noodles in the grocery.
I'm putting together this salad later today but just made the dressing. All I can say is WOW! So great! Tastes EXACTLY like the dressing they use on it at Applebee's.
The dressing is spot on the salad from Applebee's!