1/1 Photo of TSR Version of Applebee's Baked French Onion Soup by Todd Wilbur
1 hr 25 mins
This is the best French onion soup I've ever had!! Found it at www.topsecretrecipes.com. My BF requests this often.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 medium white onions, sliced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 plain hamburger buns (I always use wheat ones)
- 10 slices provolone cheese or 10 slices other white cheese
- 10 teaspoons shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Add 3 tbsp oil to a large soup pot or saucepan over med/high heat.
- 2Add the sliced onions and saute for 20 mins until onions begin to soften (don't let them brown!) Add the beef broth, water, salt, garlic powder and black pepper to the pan and bring mixture to a boil.
- 3When soup begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 4To make the croutons, cut off the top part of each top of the hamburger bun so that the bread is the same thickness as the bottom half of each bun.
- 5Throw away the tops.
- 6Now you should have 10 round pieces of bread--5 bottoms and 5 tops with the tops cut off.
- 7Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 8Place the bread directly on the oven racks and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until each pieces is dark brown and crispy.
- 9Set aside.
- 10When the soup is done, spoon about 1 cup into an oven safe bowl.
- 11Put a crouton on top, and put the provolone cheese on top of the crouton.
- 12If you want, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of the shredded parmesan over the provolone.
- 13Set oven to high broil and put the bowl into your oven.
- 14Broil soup for 5 or 6 minutes, or until cheese is melted and is starting to brown.
- 15(Broil longer if you have more than one bowl in oven).
- 16Before serving add another teaspoon or so of grated parmesan, if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for TSR Version of Applebee's Baked French Onion Soup by Todd Wilbur
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.3
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 32.2 mg
- Sodium 2745.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 20.2 g