This is the best French onion soup I've ever had!! Found it at www.topsecretrecipes.com. My BF requests this often.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 medium white onions, sliced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 plain hamburger buns (I always use wheat ones)
- 10 slices provolone cheese or 10 slices other white cheese
- 10 teaspoons shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Add 3 tbsp oil to a large soup pot or saucepan over med/high heat.
- Add the sliced onions and saute for 20 mins until onions begin to soften (don't let them brown!) Add the beef broth, water, salt, garlic powder and black pepper to the pan and bring mixture to a boil.
- When soup begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- To make the croutons, cut off the top part of each top of the hamburger bun so that the bread is the same thickness as the bottom half of each bun.
- Throw away the tops.
- Now you should have 10 round pieces of bread--5 bottoms and 5 tops with the tops cut off.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the bread directly on the oven racks and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until each pieces is dark brown and crispy.
- Set aside.
- When the soup is done, spoon about 1 cup into an oven safe bowl.
- Put a crouton on top, and put the provolone cheese on top of the crouton.
- If you want, sprinkle 1/2 tsp of the shredded parmesan over the provolone.
- Set oven to high broil and put the bowl into your oven.
- Broil soup for 5 or 6 minutes, or until cheese is melted and is starting to brown.
- (Broil longer if you have more than one bowl in oven).
- Before serving add another teaspoon or so of grated parmesan, if desired.