1/1 Photo of TSR Orange Chicken
Supposedly an excellent recipe...from posting here on zaar (but not put in recipes...from TSR website (what is that?)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice, plus
- 2 1/2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon minced water chestnut
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1Combine all of the sauce ingredients-- except the corn starch-- in a small saucepan over high heat.
- 2Stir often while bringing mixture to a boil.
- 3When sauce reaches a boil, remove it from heat and allow it to cool a bit, uncovered.
- 4Slice chicken breasts into bite-size chunks.
- 5Remove exactly 1 cup of the marinade from the pan and pour it over the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag or other container which allows the chicken to be completely covered with the marinade.
- 6The chicken should marinate for at least a couple hours.
- 7Cover the remaining sauce and leave it to cool until the chicken is ready.
- 8When chicken has marinated, preheat 2-inches of vegetable oil in a wok or skillet to 350 degrees.
- 9Put corn starch in a small bowl, then add 3 tablespoons of water.
- 10Stir until corn starch has dissolved.
- 11Pour this mixture into the sauce and set the pan over high heat.
- 12When sauce begins to bubble and thicken cover and remove it from heat.
- 13Beat together the ice water and egg in a medium bowl.
- 14Add baking soda and salt.
- 15Add 3/4 cup of the flour and stir with a fork just until the flour in blended into the mixture.
- 16The batter should still be lumpy.
- 17Sprinkle another 1/4 cup of flour on top of the batter and mix with only one or two strokes.
- 18Most of the new flour will still floating on top of the mixture.
- 19Put the remaining flour (1/2 cup) into a separate medium bowl.
- 20Dip each piece of chicken first into the flour, then into the batter.
- 21Let some of the batter drip off and then slide the chicken into the oil.
- 22Fry up to 1/2 of the chicken pieces at a time for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 23Flip the chicken over halfway through the cooking time.
- 24Remove the chicken to a rack or paper towels to drain.
- 25As the chicken cooks, reheat the sauce left covered on the stove.
- 26Stir occasionally.
- 27When all of the chicken is done, pour it into a large bowl, and cover with the thickened sauce.
- 28Stir gently until all of the pieces are well coated.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for TSR Orange Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1414.9
- Calories from Fat 996
- Total Fat 110.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 892.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 56.6 g
- Protein 7.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken breast fillets