Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Loaves are light, sweet and delicious.
- 36 ounces flour
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- sesame seeds (optional)
- colored hardboiled egg (optional)
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water.
- Add a teacup of flour and beat the mix with a towel and place it in a warm place to rise.
- Slightly heat the milk, the sugar, the butter and the orange rind and place them in a bowl.
- Add the yeast, the eggs, beaten, and the flour, stirring constantly.
- Make sure the dough is neither too soft nor too tough.
- Cover this dough with a towel and let it stand in a warm place for about an hour and a half.
- When the dough has doubled in size, knead it again by hand and shape plaited breads.
- (Traditionally for easter, red colored hard cooked eggs may be pressed into the braided bread) Brush the breads with 2-3 beaten egg yolks and bake them in a medium oven for about 30-35 minutes.