Recipe by tshull777
This recipe is absolutely perfect - flavorful, light in texture, melt in your mouth. They also are great when served with smoked salmon, caviar, Mexican salsa. They are a great starter, side dish or party appetizer too. I like them with some homemade tomato soup.
- 3 large white potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup flour or 2⁄3 cup matzo meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons weber's beer can chicken seasoning
- peanut oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes, carrots, and onion . (If not using immediately, place in cold water.) Grate each veggie separately with the shredding blade of food processor.
- Put grated potatoes in a large strainer and press out liquid. Pour cold water over the potatoes and press out liquid once more. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Add onions and carrots.
- Beat eggs and egg whites until thick. Add to potatoes and onions. Add flour or matzo meal, baking powder, and seasonings. (Mom's recipe called for 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoons white pepper, I like beer, so I tried it with weber's seasoning and it was great!) Mix well.
- Heat oil in frying pan. When ready, drop batter by large soup spoonfuls to form oval shapes. Fry over moderate to high heat until brown on one side; turn to brown other side. Remove from frying pan and drain on paper towels.
- I think next time I will cook them on a frog mat inside my Weber for some added flavor then flash fry them super crispy.
- Serve with sour cream and/or applesauce.