Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
"Try this delicious Pie Crust" (sic) was found printed on the back of a generic bag of 'Great Value' flour that I found over at my brother's house while rummaging around in his kitchen pantry. I Cookgirlified the recipe-replacing shortening (or butter) with solid coconut oil and white vinegar with raw apple cider. This will yield enough for a two-crust pie although I cut the recipe in half for this recipe: Buttermilk Pie
- Note: I used a food processor to prepare the pie crust.
- Sift the flour and salt directly into the food processor bowl.
- Add the coconut oil to the processor and blend until the pieces are the size of small peas.
- Add the raw apple cider and 3 tablespoons of the cold water. Process until the mixture comes together and forms a ball. If it's too wet, add a little more flour (about 2 tablespoons). If it's too dry, add another tablespoon of water.
- Gather the ball and wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a floured board and place in pie pan. Proceed with your pie recipe as directed.
- Tip: It was much easier for me to roll the crust out between two pieces of waxed paper.
- Bake at 450 degrees 12- 15 minutes or as indicated in your pie recipe directions.
I loved this crust. I have been waiting to try a coconut oil pie crust. I figure it it is good for you having heart healthy coconut oil instead of the other alternatives which are not that good for anyone. It was as wonderful as I had imagined. Very flaky and nice flavor. I always add just enough water into my flour so I can be able to handle the rolling out process. I did add more water, and there were no problems handling the dough.
Good but not awesome. I must have had really, really dry flour because it took 9 Tablespoons of water to get it to barely stick together, well over twice what was called for. I wanted a recipe that wasn't sweet for a pot pie and this did the trick - but it was pretty bland. I did like the idea of using coconut oil. Dough was nearly impossible to roll so I wound up piecing it together. I may try working with this again but as written it just didn't work well for me this time.