Recipe by love-to-cook
Once you eat these you will agree - they are the best ever cabbage rolls. Everyone I make these for go crazy for them and they are my most requested dish. Double the recipe as they will disapear very quickly.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 6 slices cooked bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper (or both)
- 1 grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 egg
- 1 can diced tomato (juice drained and reserved for topping)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice (I use basmati)
- 1 large green cabbage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (for water to steam cabbage)
- 1 can condensed tomato soup
Directions See How It's Made
- -In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with all of the ingredients, except for the cabbage, tomato soup and reserved diced tomato juice.
- Set aside.
- -Remove the core from the cabbage.
- Steam the cabbage over high heat in a large pot to accomodate your cabbage with a about an inch of lightly salted water.
- I like to rotate my cabbage head so it is steamed evenly.
- -Gently peel off the leaves and cut out the thick white"veins" to aid in rolling.
- -Place approx.
- 1 tablespoon of the filling onto each cabbage leaf and carefully roll them up.
- Place seam side down in your baking dish.
- -Cover the cabbage rolls with the tomato soup and tomato juice.
- -Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for approx.
- 1 hour, then remove cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- -Serve with sour cream and enjoy.