Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
This recipe was in a free booklet that I picked up at my local health food store. Credit is given to Karen Rysavy, and it apparently beats Keto's version hands down. I have never tried that brand, but I have to say I like this. Because it contains flaxmeal, I keep the mixture in the fridge, and just add some dried cranberries to the portion I am cooking. I make mine in a tall sided bowl in the microwave for about 2 1/2 minutes, but microwaves vary, so watch closely to prevent boil overs. The nutritional analysis with the recipe indicates 7g carbs, 4g fiber, 9g protein, 10g fat, 150 calories per serving
- 1 cup flax seed meal (ground flax seeds, regular or golden)
- 1 cup protein powder (suggested is vanilla EAS Simply Whey powder)
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄4 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 cup raw almonds, coarsely ground
- 1⁄4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds, coarsely ground
- Combine all ingredients. Mix can be stored for later use. I store mine in the fridge.
- To prepare one serving, simply place 1/4 cup of the mix in a very tall, microwavable bowl, or use a saucepan on the stovetop.
- Add 1/2 cup of water (you may substitute part of the water for sugar-free syrup, in any flavour desired).
- Bring to a boil, stirring, and continue to boil and stir for at least two minutes, to thicken.
It's really nice to stumble upon one of my recipes posted online that includes credit - thanks to the uploader! I am still around, you can find more of my recipes at trulylowcarb.com and learnlowcarb,com. I still eat this cereal quite often, too. Guess I should share this one on my blog/facebook judging by the nice reviews here. :)
I've been eating low carb for a long time and missed hot cereal. This is great, i toasted my bran and oat bran turned out wonderful. A little butter ,cream nutmeg and cinnamon. It does have a slight slick feel from the Flax but after the first bite i did not notice it. Can't wait for breakfast now.
I have been making my own version of this with soy lecithin granules and psyllium husks for a couple of months now and I love it!! I was getting super tired of eggs for breakfast and this makes a great change. Thanks for posting.