Recipe by DeSouter
These jam-filled nut ball cookies are buttery and delicious, which makes the tang of the jam an excellent compliment. This is the cookie for which I get the most compliments and recipe requests for.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sweet butter, room temp
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped walnuts or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans
- jam (apricot are best) or jelly (apricot are best)
- raspberries, are best
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, butter, egg yolks, vanilla, almond extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Add flour to mixture until combined.
- Roll 1" balls of dough and dip into egg whites, then cover them with nuts. Roll between palms to press nuts lightly into dough.
- Make a small indentation with your finger into the middle of the ball of dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees farenheit for 10 minutes or until the dough is JUST turning light golden brown (it may be necessary to make another identation after baking if dough rises too much.).
- Fill indentation with jam or jelly.
- For a quicker, easier version, add nuts directly into the dough and continue with directions. However, the texture of the nuts on the outside of the buttery cookie is much nicer.