Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This torte is for a really special occasion. What a chocolate, chocolate, chocolate treat!
- 1⁄4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups finely ground toasted pecans
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rum flavoring
- Torte: Toast& grinds pecans (Cool, place in gallon ziplock bag and crush w/ rolling pin).
- Butter springform pan then dust lightly with breadcrumbs.
- Tap off excess crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the two chocolates until melted.
- Cool slightly and set aside.
- Mix ground pecans and flour.
- Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light.
- Add egg yolks one at a time to the creamed sugar and butter.
- Gradually add melted chocolate and then nut mixture.
- In another bowl beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Add salt.
- Stir a small amount of whites into chocolate mixture.
- Then fold in the rest gradually.
- Pour chocolate mixture into springform pan and level gently.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Cool 15 minutes and remove from pan.
- Truffles: Melt 3 oz of chocolate.
- Whisk in 2 tbls softened butter.
- Whisk in yolk and rum flavoring.
- Drop in 10 mounds on waxed paper.
- Let stand for 30-60 minutes until firm enough to handle.
- Coat hands w/ cocoa and roll into balls.
- Roll balls in cocoa and set aside.
- Frosting: Melt 6 oz of chocolate and set aside.
- Cream ½ c.
- softened butter until light.
- Beat in chocolate.
- Beat in egg yolk and rum flavoring.
- Beat on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled cake.
- Arrange truffles on top.