Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
The high temperature should cook the mushrooms to perfection. Gourmet, April 2008.
- 1 lb pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms (any variety)
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3⁄4 lb cold taleggio cheese or 3⁄4 lb italian Fontina cheese, rind discarded and cheese sliced
- 1 teaspoon white truffle oil
- Put a large heavy baking sheet (17 by 14 inches) on lowest rack of oven, then preheat oven to 500°F
- Stretch out dough on a lightly floured surface, pulling on corners to form a roughly 16- by 13-inch rectangle (Thin crust is the key.). Transfer to a tray lined with parchment paper. Lightly prick dough all over with a fork.
- Slide dough (still on parchment) onto hot baking sheet. Bake until top is puffed and pale golden in patches, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven; prick any large bubbles with a fork and flatten. Scatter mushrooms evenly over crust, then season with salt and pepper and lay cheese on top.
- Bake pizza until edge of crust is deep golden and cheese is bubbling and golden in patches, 8 to 10 minutes. Drizzle with truffle oil and season with pepper. Serve immediately.