Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A more grown-up version of a favorite dish. Nice as a side for Thanksgiving or Christmas. The truffle oil definitely makes it more expensive, but it's worth it.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 1 teaspoon truffle oil
- 2 slices bacon, cooked & minced
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Toss macaroni with truffle oil & set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion & cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the bacon & the flour, combine well & cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk & chicken broth, stirring continuously. Bring to a boil. When the mixture comes to a boil, take off the heat & stir in the mustard, salt, pepper & cheeses. Stir well until all the cheese melts & is well incorporated into the sauce.
- Mix together the sauce and the macaroni and pour into a greased baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
I made this recipe for the My-3-Chefs Game (November 2009) and my theme was Mac nâ€™ Cheese. I prepared all 3 mac n' cheese recipes for a dinner group and had them review. This recipe was a favorite of 3 of my guests. It was really good, but, I will make it next time without the onion.