Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a classic recipe, extremely simple and perfect for supper on the day you manage to acquire your first fresh truffle! Truffles have a pungent aroma that permeates the eggs beautifully, even through the shells. Therefore if you plan to make an omelette, store your truffle with your eggs, just a short time of this treatment will make a difference to the flavour of your finished omelette. Make sure your eggs are fresh and treat them lightly, just a gentle whisk with a fork will do. I have to admit to only ever "owning" one TINY fresh truffle - but this recipe will work just as well with French preserved truffles in oil - the bonus being the delectable truffle oil you get to use afterwards......in salads, dressings, omelettes, French cooking & cooking in general!
- 4 large fresh eggs
- 14.79 ml double cream
- 15 g fresh truffles (or truffles in oil, drained)
- 14.17 g butter
- salt and pepper
- Make sure your truffle is thoroughly clean, slice it thinly or grate it and poach it in a little water with the salt and pepper, for just four or five minutes.(For preserved truffles, no cleaning in needed, but they need to be drained.) Reduce the water to a dessertspoonful, allow it cool and add it to the cream.
- Whisk your eggs, add the poaching water and cream to them and whisk again.
- Heat your pan gently & add the butter to the pan, allow it become very hot, but not discoloured, then tip the eggs in & move them around a little until JUST starting to set on the outside. Then add the sliced truffles.
- Allow the top to almost set – baveuse - fold and serve immediately.
- Serve with a fresh green salad, some warm crusty bread and a good bottle of French red wine.
What a great omelette! and a fantastic tutorial; you are really good at this! I didnt have any truffles but I was given permission to use a substitute; I had a mixture of crimini mushrooms and dried morels that I sautÃ©ed ahead. I made it with only 3 eggs. Hopefully one day I can make it with truffles.Thank you for this fun challenge. Made for ZWT5. Rita
Sensationnel omelette! I did make a 2 egg omelette so my pictures here are not as fluffy and do no justice to the omelette if made according to directions. Thank you for a beautiful Brunch. Merci Beaucoup! Made for ZWT5
Although I have no truffle to prepare this dish, it sounds very much like the omelette aux truffe I was fortunate to have at "Auberge de la Truffe" in Sorges,France this past spring. I was fortunate enough to be there at the height of the truffle season and the foie gras was the best I have ever had. I will be sure to follow this recipe when I have another black truffle.