Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This, I am told, is the original Caesar salad by Chef Alex-Caesar Cardini - Caesars have sure changed a lot
- 10 leaves romaine lettuce, washed and refrigerate to crisp
- 6 slices French bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put bread on an ungreased baking sheet, bake until crisp, 30 minutes.
- Baste bread with 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
- return to oven to brown 15 minutes.
- Crush together the garlic and anchovy filets,gradually add 1 tbsp of oil.
- Spread this mixture on the toasted bread& cut into cubes, set aside.
- Cover the egg in boiling water and cook for 1 minute only.
- Tear the lettuces leaves into a salad bowl,worcestershire sauce and any remaining oil In the last minute toss in the bread crumbs and the parmesan cheese.
- Toss and serve- do not let the croutons get soggy.