This is a Hungarian dish that seems to be loved by almost everyone....the chicken is very tender and very flavorful and the sauce is one that is always soaked up by good french bread or hungarian bread.....althought there are many different versions of this made up by many different people......there is only 1 true Hungarian Paprikas. I come from a family of 7 generations of full blooded Hungarians, we eat , we talk and we all cook hungarian.....still to this day. So I will pass on this recipe from many generations of fantastic cooks and people. Enjoy.
- Wash and cut up chickens into pieces. Heat butter in large skillet and fry chicken pieces till browned. Remove from skillet and keep warm. Pour off most of fat from skillet and add chopped onions and garlic, saute till tender, add paprika and cook for a minute, add salt and pepper to onion mixture. Add chicken broth and stir well to remove mixture from bottom of pan. In a large dutch oven or cooking pot, add broth mixture and bring to a boil, add chicken. Make sure there is enough liquid to just cover all the chicken (if there is not enough, then add some water or more broth.)Cook covered on low heat till chicken is so tender it will fall off the bones. Remove chicken to a platter when fully cooked. Combine flour and sour cream, mix into the pot, cook slow, stirring often until thickened and smooth. At this point if sauce is not thick enough, add cream slowly while still cooking on low until desired thickness. You want to achieve a sauce that is a consistancy of gravy, but not too thick. Once this is done you will need to make some dumplings as follows:.
- 3-C. flour.
- 5 eggs.
- 2 teaspoons salt.
- 1/4 C water.
- mix ingredients together until smooth. Drop batter by teaspoons into boiling salted water. Cook 10 minutes. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Serve on plates and top off with sauce and chicken. This can also be served with the traditional Hungarian Cucumber salad.
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad with Sour Cream:.
- 2 cucumbers.
- 1 lg clove garlic, pressed.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- 2 T. vinegar.
- 1/2°C sour cream.
- Hungarian Paprika.
- Pare cucmbers and slice into thin slices, place in bowl,add garlic, toss with salt. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Drain cucumbers very well. Blend vinegar with sour cream and add cucumbers, mix well and sprinkle top with paprika generously, and serve.