Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
For special occasions. From my wife’s mother’s cookbook circa 1950s
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup cream, sweet or 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 dash cayenne
- Melt butter in top of double boiler.
- Add cream and beaten egg yokes, stirring well.
- Add lemon juice and salt and cook over boiling water, stirring constantly until thickened and smooth (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and beat until light.
- Stir in cayenne.
- Serve hot with cauliflower, broccoli, spinach or asparagus.